An assortment from the nature and wildlife archives

I have been an avid nature and wildlife lover and the progress to photography was only natural. From a point and shoot camera, to a handy-cam and then to a semi-professional  Canon S3IS, I switched finally to DSLR in July 2009. I began with Canon 1000 D and  a Sigma 150-500 OS and a year later, added Canon 18-55 mm IS to my kitty. The gear has been my companion for 4 years and I have travelled and used it extensively. I have now just upgraded to a Canon 7D. WHile my complete collection of thousands of photographs  can be seen at https://picasaweb.google.com/108359053909554531885 , I thought I must sort and put up a compilation of what I think were my best clicks. Hence this post.

I begin with images from my Canon S3IS, which taught me some basics of the different camera functions

This image was at one of the parks in Mumbai. Taken on an overcast day, with an interplay of clouds. The contrast in colors is also visible in black and white
The Glory lily - justifies its name. Indeed glorious, seen only for a brief period in monsoons in Mumbai

April 2009- We took a fisherman's boat into the Airoli creek, in the blazing sun. But these pink flames, cooled us

Add caption




The Bay Islands forest lizard, is an endemic to Andamans. I got it in Dec 2007, near the Whitesurf waterfalls at Little Andamans
Add caption
At Port Blair, in Dec 2007. Not a good shot, but the behavior here is noteworthy. A crow chasing an eagle to grab the snake back, from it

The Ross Island at Andamans- Dec 2007

The Viper Island at Andamans- Dec 2007. This has seen ruthless damage from the 2004 tsunami. We saw a picturesque sunset though. 

The Parrot Island at Andamans - an uninhabited island. As the name suggests, 1000s of parrots (parakeets) come here to roost every evening. The flocks which start coming in 100s, as soon as dusk falls, are a sight to behold


The Bay Islands forest lizard again

This species was a first time for me. They are called lantern flies. We found this pair at Little Andamans

The landscapes below are from an exotic location called Chiriya Tapu, near Port Blair. Awesome birds and heavenly landscapes





A garden lizard at night, in Amboli

Frog eggs at Bhimashankar - June 2008


A scorpion carrying babies - Bhimashankar, June 2008

A wolf spider carrying babies- Bhimashankar, June 2008

At Corbett in Feb 2009. A tiger was lurking around. The langurs were giving alarm calls, but the mighty king couldn't be sighted. This sambar is visibly alert as it tries to cross the riverbed.














I now begin with what I think is some of my best collection with the Canon 1000D and Sigma 150-500/Canon 18-55 mm






















































































































































































Comments

  1. Awesome pics, Sangeeta! An absolute delight for an armchair traveller like me! Keep it going!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mumbai Bird Race 2008

My 2nd book: Siboo's first day in the forest: Siboo and Simi, the 6 month old tiger cubs are taken for a forest walk by their mother for the first time